Grants and Funding Opportunities
Pennsylvania Historical & Museum Commission (PHMC)
- Cultural and Historical Support Grant Program: awarded to qualified museums and official county historical societies.
- Keystone Historic Preservation Planning Grants: available to nonprofit organizations and local governments for the planning and development for publicly accessible historic resources listed in, or eligible for listing in the National Register of Historic Places.
- Keystone Historic Preservation Construction Grants: available to nonprofit organizations and local governments for small construction projects for publicly accessible historic resources.
- Certified Local Government Grant Program: provides financial support to participating communities to develop the tools, products, programs, and services they need to administer their local preservation programs effectively.
- Federal Rehabilitation Investment Tax Credit (RITC): certain expenses incurred in connection with rehabilitating an old building are eligible for a tax credit.
- Historical & Archival Records Care Grants: awards will improve the preservation of historically valuable original records.
Pennsylvania Department of Community and Economic Development
- Historic Preservation Tax Credit (HPTC): provides tax credits to qualified taxpayers who will be completing the restoration of a qualified historic structure into an income producing property.
National Trust for Historic Preservation
- Cynthia Woods Mitchell Fund for Historic Interiors: awarded to public agencies and nonprofit organizations for the purpose of assisting in the preservation, restoration, and interpretation of historic interiors.
- Emergency/Intervention Fund: awarded to public agencies and nonprofit organizations in emergency situations when immediate and unanticipated work is needed to save a historic structure, such as when a fire or other natural disaster strikes.
- Hart Family Fund for Small Towns: eligible candidates include public agencies and nonprofit organizations in towns with a population of 10,000 or less. Intended to encourage preservation at the local level by providing seed money for preservation projects in small towns. These grants help stimulate public discussion, enable local groups to gain the technical expertise needed for particular projects, introduce the public to preservation concepts and techniques, and encourage financial participation by the private sector.
- Henry A. Jordan, M.D., Preservation Excellence Fund: awarded to Organizational Level Forum members or Main Street America members of the National Trust. The endowed fund supports innovative projects and programs that encourage historic preservation.
- Johanna Favrot Fund for Historic Preservation: awarded to Organizational Level Forum members or Main Street America members of the National Trust. The fund aims to save historic environments to foster an appreciation of our nation’s diverse cultural heritage and to preserve and revitalize the livability of the nation’s communities.
- National Trust Preservation Funds: grants that encourage preservation at the local level by providing seed money for preservation projects to nonprofit organizations and public agencies.
- African American Cultural Heritage Fund: grants designed to advance ongoing preservation activities for historic places such as sites, museums, and landscapes representing African American cultural heritage.