John was the youngest child of Jacob and Mary. He attended Swarthmore College and then came home to run the Stover’s Flour Mills.
John married Verga Ann Stover. She was born in Frenchtown, NJ and lived at the River Road address 34 years. She was a member of Frenchtown Baptist Church and served as the local piano teacher.
In 1900 John founded the Stover Telephone Company with a direct line to Philadelphia through the Keystone System. The company ran until 1931 with the telephone operator set up in the Erwin Stover House. In 1902 he leased the flour mill and the farm to tenants.
John set up a dynamo to operate the mill turbine in 1903 and began providing electricity to the residents of Erwinna. Power was turned off every night at 9:30 when the miller went home for the day.
In 1930, John and his wife Vergie and his sister, Matilda (“Tillie”) moved into the Erwin-Stover House. Tillie lived in the south side and John and his wife in the north. In 1955, John gave his house and property to the County of Bucks to be used as a park for public use.
Tillie was the first born of Jacob and Mary Stover. She attended Doylestown Seminary and never married. She was an avid newspaper reader and a charter member of the Delaware Valley Protective Association dedicated to preserving the Delaware Canal Corridor after the Canal closed for business. In 1930 Tillie moved into the Erwin Stover House with her brother John. Tillie’s clothing became the foundation for the Tinicum Arts festival Historic Fashion Shows which were held on the front lawn of the house.