Jacob was born in Skippack to Heinrich and Barbara Stauffer (renamed Stover) and spent his youth working on the farm. Jacob enrolled in the Bedminster Company 2nd battalion under General John Sullivan. He used the family wagon to transport army stores and wounded soldiers during the Revolutionary War. He was briefly married to Elizabeth Swartz and had one daughter by her. Jacob’s second wife was Catherine Stover, the daughter of Matthias Stauffer. Matthias kept an inn on his farm in Lower Salford, Montgomery County.
In 1784, Jacob purchased land along the Tohickon Creek in Pipersville with a grist and saw mill. He rebuilt these in 1800 and expanded them in 1834. He also built a fieldstone house on the hill above the mill for his family. Together, he and Catherine had eight children: Henry S., Matthais, Anna, Jacob A., Catherine, Jonas, Samuel, and Isaac. He sent his sons to Doylestown Academy. In 1832 Jacob built a second house on the property, directly across from the mill for his son Samuel. In 1836 he divided the property, selling the homestead and a section of land to his youngest son Isaac and the mill and the newer home plus 50 acres to Samuel. Jacob and Catherine lived with Samuel until their deaths.
Jacob has also purchased the mill in Pt. Pleasant at a sheriff’s sale in 1803. It had been built by John White sometime between 1748 and 1765. Jacob sold this property to his son Henry in 1816.