- District Attorney
- Veteran's Treatment Program
- Veteran Mentor Description
Veteran Mentor Description
The role of the volunteer veteran mentor is to act as a coach, a guide, a role model, and advocate, and a support for the individuals he or she will work with. The mentor will encourage, guide, and support the veteran as that person progresses through the court process. This will include listening to their concerns, making general suggestions, assisting in determining where their needs may lie, and acting as a support for the veteran at a time when they may feel alone in a way that only another veteran can understand.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Attend Veterans Treatment court sessions with mentee
- Participate in and lead mentoring sessions with veterans who have come into contact with the criminal justice system.
- Be supportive and understanding of the difficulties veterans may experience.
- Assist the veterans as much as possible to resolve their concerns around the court procedures as well as interactions with the Veterans Administration system.
- Be supportive and helpful to the other mentors within the program.
- Must be a Veteran of one of the branches of the United States Armed Forces, including the Air Force, Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Coast Guard, Space Force or the corresponding reserve or guard components.
- Commit to program participation for a minimum of one year.
- Participate in training as deemed appropriate by the mentor coordinator or assistant district attorney throughout your time of service.
- Not be currently on probation or parole for the conviction of any crime (felony or misdemeanor). Have no felony or misdemeanor convictions within the past three years and be able to pass a security background check.
- Willing listener
- Encouraging and supportive
- Tolerant and respectful of individual differences
- For more information or for an application, please contact Bucks County Veterans Treatment, Mentor Coordinator, Woody Hippel at [email protected]
US Department of Veteran Affairs Crisis Hotline