- Public Safety
Public Safety Training Center
The Bucks County Public Safety Training Center, located in Doylestown, focuses on improving the safety of Bucks County. The training center provides approximately 90 courses of instruction a year for the law enforcement community in and around Bucks County.
Police Training Center
The Police Training Center also administers the Bucks County Consortium, a collaborative hiring process employed by most of Bucks County's police departments. Any persons desiring to participate in the next testing should contact the training center.
Various other public safety/training aspects:
- Meets the state Mandatory In-Service training requirements established by the Municipal Police Officers Training Commission
- Provides instruction to over 2,500 registered students which translates to over 40,000 training contact hour
- Oversees grants from the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation; the Municipal Police Officers Education and Training Commission; and the Department of Justice
- Works in conjunction with Temple University in the Basic Police Academy Program (Act 120)
- Works in conjunction with Bucks County Community College training, educating and now offering certain degrees
- County's DUI Enforcement Program
- Bucks County Highway Safety Program
- Bucks County Heroes Scholarship Fund
SLOW Public Safety Traffic Stop Initiative
The public awareness campaign is entitled SLOW which stands for:
- Shut off engine
- Lower window
- Hands On wheel
- Wait for instructions
A traffic stop almost always begins with a police car flashing its lights at you and, perhaps, giving you a short siren blast. Even if you've never been pulled over before, you need to know how to respond.
You should pull over to the curb and stop immediately. Even if you're not being pulled over, you should always do this so that the officer can easily go around you and get to where they actually need to be. If you are being pulled over, stay there even if it seems unsafe to park. If the officer doesn't like where you're parked, they will instruct you where to move.