M-F 8:00 am to 4:15 pm.
PASSPORT APPLICATIONS ARE ACCEPTED BY APPOINTMENT ONLY
Appointments are not required for services other than passport applications. However, if you prefer to schedule an appointment Please contact:
- Family Division - (Divorce, Custody & PFA) 215-348-6822
- Civil Division & Passports - 215-348-6191
You may click on the Links located on the left hand side of this page to review detailed information on the specific items.
The mission of the Prothonotary's office is to docket, scan and process civil and family court documents in accordance with state and county requirements.
Visitors to the Justice Center must:
- Wear a mask at all times in public locations
- Stay at least six feet away from others
- Follow the procedures as outlined in Emergency Order Number 15 (PDF)
The Upper and Lower Bucks Government Services Centers Prothonotary Counters remain closed.
E-Filing & Web Viewer
The Prothonotary's public access system is available for your convenience 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Click the link Prothonotary E-Filing and Web Viewer to register for E-filing, file pleadings and/or view case documents.
For emergency Family Court filings and Civil Matters that cannot be e-filed, please visit our office in the Bucks County Justice center, 100 North Main Street, Doylestown, PA. You may also call 215-348-6191 to schedule an appointment.
Duties & Responsibilities
The office of the Prothonotary is the Clerk of the Civil Division of the Court of Common Pleas. This elected row officer has administrative control over and responsibility for all official documents and records of the Civil and Family divisions.
It is the duty of the office to record such legal documents as:
- Commencement of Actions
- Writ of Summons
- Exceptions to Judicial or Tax Sales
- Name Change Petitions
- Magisterial District Justice
- Superior, Commonwealth and Supreme Court
- Signatures of Notaries Public
- The Prothonotary serves as an agent for the federal government for the purpose of processing passport applications.