In certain circumstances, it is possible to have a juvenile record expunged or erased. However, this is not an automatic process and must be requested by you or your representation. It begins by submitting a Petition and Court order to the Clerk of Courts. The District Attorney will conduct this review and determine whether expungement of the juvenile record(s) suits the common good of all parties involved. If the request is approved, it will be signed off on by a judge and all entities (Juvenile Court Judge’s Commission, the Arresting Police Department, the PA State Police Repository, and the School District) will be properly notified by mail. 

Court Operations Clerks will handle expungements when:

  1. Informal Adjustments (6 months after case closing)
  2. Petition withdrawals
  3. Consent Decrees (6 months after case closing and court costs paid in full)

Please note: all other matters will be handled by assigned attorneys or the juvenile’s family

How do I know if my record can be expunged?
The Court may expunge the records upon filing a motion, if it finds any one of the following: 

  1. An allegation is not substantiated or is dismissed.
  1. Six months have passed since terminating supervision under a consent decree and no juvenile or criminal charges are pending.
  2. When a juvenile has been discharged from Court supervision pursuant to Rule 631 and:
    • Five years have elapsed;
    • the juvenile has not been convicted or adjudicated delinquent for a felony or misdemeanor;
    • no Court proceeding is pending seeking such conviction or adjudication of delinquency; and
    • the delinquent act is not an act precluded from expungement pursuant to Title 18 Pa.C.S. § 9123(a.1); or
    • when the Attorney for the Commonwealth consents to the expungement.